- She was anxious to go home.
- I was surprised to get her letter.
- It is nice to talk to you.
- I am glad to meet you.
- You don’t look happy to see me.
Other adjectives that can be followed by infinitives include: right, wrong, stupid, certain, welcome, careful, due, fit, able, likely and lucky.
- I was stupid to trust him.
- They are certain to win.
- You are welcome to stay as long as you like.
An infinitive can be used after adjective + noun to make a comment or judgment.
- It was a stupid thing to do.
- It was an astonishing way to behave.
Superlative adjectives can be followed by an infinitive structure.
- He is the oldest athlete ever to win an Olympic gold medal.
This structure is also common with first, second, third etc., next, last and only.
- Who was the first woman to climb Mt Everest?
- She is the only scientist to have won three Nobel prizes.