A cover letter is one that is sent along with your CV when you are applying for a job. The purpose of a cover letter is to elicit a positive response from your prospective employers by highlighting the plus points in your resume.
Cover letter outline
A cover letter is a formal letter and therefore it should have the same format as a formal letter.
- Begin your cover letter by placing your address at the top of the page. Don’t put your name with the address. Put the date directly under the address.
- Put the name and address of the person you are writing to slightly below the date.
- Use complete title and address; don’t abbreviate. Do not use a title like Mr. together with a first name.
- Write directly to the person in charge of hiring. If you don’t know his or her name, you can use the salutation Dear Sir or Dear Madam.
- Sign with your full name, but without writing any title (Mr/Ms/Dr/etc). Put your handwritten signature above your name.