Here is a practice worksheet to sharpen your English vocabulary. In the following questions sentences are given with blanks to be filled in with an appropriate word. Four alternatives are suggested for each question. Choose the best alternative.
1. His jokes failed to ————— even the faintest of smiles from her.
2. What were their chances of eliciting any worthwhile information from such an ——————————- uncooperative witness?
3. Let’s ————– your plans first.
b) discuss about
c) discuss over
d) discuss into
4. He got —————— in corporate politics and ruined his bright future.
5. She is just the —————– of elegance.
6. The university ——————– an honorary Doctor of Law degree on the president.
7. The chairman said that the board is not ————– to the idea of further talks.
8. They decided to part ways through an —————- settlement.
9. Successful people are those who —————– themselves to changing circumstances.
10. She soon ——————- the role of chief confidante.
d) none of these
11. A —————— is a person somebody trusts and discusses personal matters and problems with.
12. This is a scene —————– from the author’s memoirs.
13. At long last, the investigative officer managed to ————– a confession from him.
14. Credit card crime is reaching —————— proportions.
15. What I loved best about the book is that it made no —————- to being great literature.
16. I was congratulating myself on my driving skills, when I ————–into a snow bank.
17. Her —————– nature made her well-loved in the town.
18. An unusual condition present at birth is called a ——————- disorder.
19. The stories about the boy’s adventures in the jungle —————– their imaginations most.
20. The visitor was welcomed —————– and introduced to the Governor.
21. These shop-soiled articles are for quick —————- at low prices.
22. China has claimed certain Russian territories —————- to her borders.
23. It was a —————- violation of the suspect’s civil rights.
24. He seems to be bent —————— mischief.
25. On our way to school, we came —————- an old gypsy.