Test your range of English vocabulary with this exercise. In the following questions sentences are given with blanks to be filled in with an appropriate word. Four alternatives are suggested for each question. Choose the best alternative.
English vocabulary exercise
1. The child was in ——————– danger of being drowned.
2. The counsel for the ————– called upon the jury to acquit his client.
3. Over the course of centuries, the river Ganges has ————— its course many a times.
4. The idea of conserving the environment has steadily gained political —————— over the past few decades.
5. Any use of natural resources has to be equitable and ecologically —————.
d) none of these
6. The NGO is actively —————- in managing and restoring ecosystems and improving people’s lives, economies and societies.
7. For a blue moon to —————, the first of the full moons must appear at or near the beginning of the month so that the second will fall within the same month.
8. —————— to the poles may help us understand them better.
9. You have to believe that you can achieve what you want, and that you ————— happiness and joy.
10. Loving ——————- is the first step towards improving one’s self image.
11. People who have high self esteem are less likely to —————– in self destructive behaviour like alcohol and drug abuse, violence and crime.
12. A negative self image ———————- to feelings of helplessness, powerlessness and at times, even depression.
13. ——————- rural women will be able to run their micro-businesses, if they get credit at concessional rates.
14. This institution encourages and —————— rural women by offering courses to help them run independent enterprises as vendors, screen printers, photo-laminators, bag-makers and computer operators.
15. His latest novel has been attracting ——————- reviews in the international media.
16. The Mann Deshi Mahila Sahakari Bank Ltd in Maharashtra is well-recognized for its ————— micro-financing initiatives.
17. Ever since he took over as the new manager, the company has witnessed an ————– increase in sales.
18. He has an ——————– talent for cooking up excuses.
19. Most people require a monetary ——————- to do something.
20. The Golden Gate Bridge is one of the most —————– landmarks of San Francisco.
21. In their quest for knowledge, scientists have ————— into the driest deserts and the steamiest jungles.
22. Almost 70 percent of the bat species worldwide —————— almost exclusively on insects and are thus extremely beneficial.
23. Hippos are mean and ——————-, killing more people in Africa than any other animal.
24. The dacoits attacked the village and every man, woman and child —————– put to death.
25. A notable patriot and revolutionary ————– lost to India in the death of Subhash Chandra Bose.
25. was (Here a singular verb is necessary as the singular nouns patriot and revolutionary refer to the same person.)