There and their
These words are often confused. There has two uses. It can be an adverb of place.
- Put the vessels there. (= Put the vessels in that place.)
- I went there yesterday. (= I went to that place yesterday.)
‘Here’ is the opposite of ‘there’.
- Come here. (= Come to this place.)
There can also be used as an introductory subject.
- There is a hole in my socks.
- There are some men outside.
- Is there water on the moon?
- There are some apples in the fridge.
- There was nobody at home.
Their is a possessive word like my, your or his. It goes before a noun.
- I have never been to their house.
- Their children are very smart.
- Their story touched my heart.