Other words in the family
Academia, academic, academically, academics, academiesDefinitions
Academic as an adjective
1) relating to education, educational systems or educational institutions like colleges and universities.
- Her parents were in business but she decided to take the academic route. (= She decided to pursue university education)
2) theoretical and not practical
- Most universities offer both academic and professional degrees.
3) good at learning things by studying or reading
- Although he was an intelligent guy, he was not very academic.
- He was not very academic, but that didn't prevent him from making many great inventions.
Academic as a noun
1) a teacher or professor at a college or university
- The conference was attended by several academics from Europe and America.
The government offers several scholarships for academically brilliant students.
- His parents couldn't understand why he failed his exams because he was doing well academically.