Alternate vs. Alternative | Class 10 English Grammar
- I play cricket on alternate days.
- I see him on alternate days.
- I water the plants on alternate days.
- It would be nice if he had to work only on alternate days.
Alternately is an adverb. If something takes place alternately, then it takes place in turns.
- She would cry and laugh alternately.
- It would rain and shine alternately.
- I am alternately happy and sad.
Alternative and alternatively
An alternative is a choice between two or more things.
- Trains are late and overcrowded. An alternative option is to take the bus.
- I had to obey. There was no alternative.
Alternative can also be an adjective. In this case, it means different or instead.
- If this plan does not work out, we will have to find an alternative one.
- Rahul is not free on Monday. We will have to find an alternative date for the conference.
Alternatively is an adverb.
- You could wait till Rohit comes, or alternatively you could go without him.
- We meet on alternate days.
Alternative(ly) means the other option.
- I had to go; there was no other alternative.