- There were a few members present. (Some members were present.)
- Few members attended the meeting. (Hardly any member attended the meeting.)
- He lost the few friends he had. (Not many, but all of them)
Note that few is used with plural nouns.
A little, little and the little
Little is used with uncountable nouns. A little means some. It has a positive meaning. Little means hardly any. It has a negative meaning. The little means not much but all of that much.
- Give me a little milk. (some milk.)
- I have little money. (hardly any)
- He drank off the little milk we had. (not much, but all of that much)