Forms of be | Grammar exercise
Complete the following sentences using an appropriate from of be.
The verb be has five forms in the present and past tenses. The forms is, am and are are used in the present tense. The forms was and were are used in the past tense.
1. I —————— working in the garage when he called. (was / were / am)
2. She ——————- the only earning member of the family. (is / am / are)
3. We —————– delighted to hear the news. (were / was / is)
4. They —————- waiting for us. (are / am / is)
5. It —————- raining. (is / are)
6. The boys ——————— playing in the garden. (are / was / is)
7. Rohan —————— the tallest boy in the class. (is / am / are)
8. Rohan and Sania ——————- in the same class. (are / is / was)
9. The bird —————– making its nest. (was / were)
10. The wind —————- blowing fiercely. (was / were)
11. You —————– not supposed to open this cover. (are / am / is)
12. My mother ——————- a trained dancer. (is / am / are)
1. I was working in the garage when he called.
2. She is the only earning member of the family.
3. We were delighted to hear the news.
4. They are waiting for us.
5. It is raining.
6. The boys are playing in the garden.
7. Rohan is the tallest boy in the class.
8. Rohan and Sania are in the same class.
9. The bird was making its nest.
10. The wind was blowing fiercely.
11. You are not supposed to open this cover.
12. My mother is a trained dancer.