NCERT Class 6 English Honeysuckle Chapter 1 Solutions | Who Did Patrick’s Homework?
Here are the textbook solutions for NCERT class 6 English Chapter 1. You can find more class 6 grammar worksheets here.
1. What did Patrick think his cat was playing with? What was it really?
Patrick thought his cat was playing with a little doll. However, it was not a doll. It was a man of the tiniest size. Actually, it was a little elf.
2. Why did the little man grant Patrick a wish?
The little man granted Patrick a wish because he wanted to escape from the claws of the cat that had been playing with him. The little man didn’t want Patrick to give him back to the cat because he knew that the cat would kill him.
3. What was Patrick’s wish?
Patrick wanted the elf to do all his homework till the end of the semester. He even wanted him to do it so well that he would get A’s.
4. In what subjects did the little man need help, to do Patrick’s homework?
The little man needed help in almost all subjects. He did not know the meaning of words. So, Patrick had to look up words in a dictionary. He could not do addition or subtraction or multiplication or division. So, Patrick had to sit by him and help him do all the calculations. The elf also knew nothing about history and hence Patrick had to get him more and more books and read them out to him.
5. How did Patrick help him?
The little man was of little help. He couldn’t do Patrick’s homework without help. So, Patrick was working harder than ever. He was reading books, looking up dictionaries and helping the elf to solve his maths problems. He was staying up late and going to school with puffed eyes because he was not sleeping enough.
6. Who do you think did Patrick’s homework – the little man or Patrick himself? Give reasons for your answer
Patrick himself did his homework. He probably thought that it was the elf that did the homework but in reality he was the one reading books and solving all the sums.
Working with language
Fill in the blanks in the sentences below with the words or phrases from the box.
(out of luck, mystery, true to his word, chores, semester, between you and me, look up)
1. Some people find household ……………………… a bore, but I like to help at home.
2. Who stole the diamond is still a …………………………..
3. This ………………………… we are going to have a class exhibition.
4. ………………………….. , the elf began to help Patrick.
5. Can you ………………………… this word in the dictionary.
6. I started early to be on time, but I was ………………………… There was a traffic jam!
7. She says, she’s got a lot of books, but ……………………… I think most of them are borrowed.
1. Some people find household chores a bore, but I like to help at home.
2. Who stole the diamond is still a mystery.
3. This semester we are going to have a class exhibition.
4. True to his word , the elf began to help Patrick.
5. Can you look up this word in the dictionary.
6. I started early to be on time, but I was out of luck. There was a traffic jam!
7. She says, she’s got a lot of books, but between you and me I think most of them are borrowed.
A house, A home
1. Do you agree with what the poet says? Talk to your partner and complete these sentences.
(i) A house is made of brick and stone and hard wood.
(ii) It has some glass windows and perhaps a yard
(iii) A home is made by the love and sharing of family members
(iv) It has brothers and sisters.
2. Now complete these sentences about your house and home.
(i) My house is clean, spacious and beautiful.
(ii) The best thing about my home is that it is a place where I can be what I am.