NTSE English Model Paper 1
This grammar exercise is designed for students preparing for National Talent Search Examination (NTSE) English Paper. The questions here test your knowledge of English Grammar. Each question consists of a short written conversation, part of which has been omitted. Four words or phrases, labeled a, b, c, and d, are given below the conversation. Choose the word or phrase that will correctly complete the conversation.
NTSE Model English Test Paper 1
1. This paper is inferior —————– that.
2. Do you prefer ————— of meat pie?
a) this sort
b) these sort
c) these sorts
d) this sorts
Answer: this sort
(The words kind, class, sort, type etc. are all singular and should be used with this or that to modify a singular noun. The words kinds, sorts etc. are used with these and those to modify a plural noun)
3. The book —————– on the chest of the drawers.
a) was lain
b) was laid
c) was lied
d) have lied
Answer: was laid
4. The garden shears ————— used to clip the hedge.
(Nouns like tongs, shears, tweezers, scissors etc. are always plural and should be used with plural verbs, unless of course the singular aspect is indicated by using ‘a pair of’)
5. Each of the boys ————— given a medal today.
6. A strimmer is a machine —————– grass and weeds.
a) to cut
b) for cutting
c) to cutting
d) none of these
Answer: for cutting
7. To ————–, he failed his exam.
a) noone’s surprise
b) no one’s surprise
c) no ones surprise
d) no ones’ surprise
Answer: no one’s surprise
8. The circus ——————- round of applause for the perfectly timed acrobatic stunt.
a) audience received a well-deserved
b) audience gave a well deserved
c) audience did receive a well deserved
d) audience gave a well-deserved
Answer: audience gave a well-deserved
9. Because of its warm tropical climate, Hawaii __________ subzero temperatures.
a) almost experiences never
b) experiences never almost
c) experiences almost never
d) almost never experiences
Answer: almost never experiences
10. You ——————– working hard.
a) definitely have been
b) have definitely been
c) have been definitely
d) definitely been have
Answer: have definitely been
You can find more class 10 English grammar worksheets and exercises here.