Read the given passage and answer the questions that follow. Follow us on Youtube for English grammar videos in both Malayalam and English.
About 700 years ago Arghun Khan, the king of Persia, wanted to marry a Chinese Princess. He sent messengers to the great Khan of China. They took two years to reach him. The Great Khan of China chose a beautiful princess to go to Persia and marry Arghun Khan. At about the time the princess was getting ready for her journey, Arghun Khan died in Persia. But the news took two years to reach China. So the princess left for Persia knowing nothing about the matter. In her party, there were more than 2000 people traveling on fourteen ships. Six hundred of them died during the long and difficult journey. The party reached Persia over 2 years after they started from China and then they heard of Arghun Khan’s death. His son was the king now and the princess married him instead of Arghun Khan!
Today one can travel from China to Persia on a jet plane in a few hours. News travels much faster than that. One can turn on the radio or television and listen to up to the minute news. This big difference is the result of science for science has given us the television and the jet plane. It has changed the world in ways unimaginable.
Choose the most suitable alternative to complete each of the sentence given below.
1. Arghun Khan, the king of Persia ……………………….
a) went to China to marry a Chinese Princess
b) wanted the Khan of China to send him a beautiful princess for marriage.
c) sent his soldiers to bring him a beautiful Chinese bride.
d) requested the great Khan of China to marry a beautiful young princess
2. The great Khan of China ………………………..
a) died by the time, the messengers of Arghun Khan reached his palace.
b) refused to send any princess to China
c) could find no Chinese princess willing to marry Arghun Khan.
d) chose a beautiful young princess for Arghun Khan.
3. By the time the princess left for Persia ……………………………..
a) the news reached China that Arghun Khan had died
b) Arghun Khan had died, but nobody in China received the news
c) the news reached the great Khan that Arghun Khan had died
d) Arghun Khan informed the great Khan of China that he did not need the bride.
4. The princess married Arghun Khan’s son instead of Arghun Khan because ……………………………
a) Arghun Khan was too old for the beautiful young princess
b) his son did not allow Arghun Khan to marry the girl.
c) she liked the son more than the father.
d) Arghun Khan had died and his son had become the new king.
5. The incident cannot take place today because ………………………..
a) there are no kings and princess now.
b) today people and news travel very fast between countries
c) the Persian kings are not allowed by the Chinese rulers to marry Chinese princesses
d) the Persians and the Chinese can now marry only from their respective countries
6. The difference between the ancient world and the modern world is the result of ……………………………
a) the invention of nuclear power
b) the growth of the democratic ideal
c) the battles fought by the great kings of the past
d) the great progress made by science
1. wanted the Khan of China to send him a beautiful princess for marriage
2. chose a beautiful young princess for Arghun Khan
3. Arghun Khan had died, but nobody in China received news
4. Arghun Khan had died and his son had become the new king
5. Today people and news travel very fast between countries
6. the great progress made by science