Simple past tense form:
|I did not write.
She did not write.
You did not write.
|Did I write?
Did she write?
Did you write?
Uses of the simple past tense
We use the simple past tense to talk about many kinds of past events: short, quickly finished actions, longer situations, and repeated events.
- I spent all my childhood in Canada.
- I visited my grandfather yesterday.
- John left 10 minutes ago.
The simple past is common in story-telling.
- Once upon a time there lived a rich man. One day, he met a beautiful princess and …
The simple past is often used with references to finished periods and time expressions.
- He died last year.
- I met her yesterday morning.