Comparison and contrast are expressed by the use of the… the… with comparatives in parallel clauses. This structure is used to show proportionate increase or decrease.
Word order in both clauses
Definite article + comparative adjective + subject + verb
- The less I see him the more I like him.
- The more he reads the less he understands.
- The older we grow the wiser we become.
- The higher you climb the colder it gets.
- The older I get the happier I am.
- The more dangerous it is the more I like it.
It is possible to use a noun instead of the comparative adjective in this structure.
- The more money he makes, the more useless things he buys.