Using Let | How To Use Let Correctly
- Let the show go on.
- Let me get you a cup of coffee.
- Let us eat – I am hungry.
There are two possible negative forms – let us not and do not let us.
- Let us not stray from the right path.
- Let us not get angry.
- Do not let us forget our goals in life.
Let with first person pronouns
When let is followed by a first person pronoun, it is considered a kind of imperative. Let us (also let’s) is used to make suggestions or to give instructions or orders to a group that includes the speaker.
- Let us go for a walk.
- Let us eat something.
In question tags shall we? is used. Let’s is used as a short answer.
- ‘Let us have a drink, shall we?’ ‘Yes, let’s.’
Let me is used to give instructions to oneself. The expressions let me see and let me think are very common.
- ‘Can I have the report ready by this evening?’ ‘Let me see.’