What Are Adverbs?
Adverbs are words like tomorrow, daily, badly, once and too. They tell us more about other words, especially verbs.
- The child smiled sweetly. (The adverb sweetly modifies the verb smiled.)
- She walked slowly. (The adverb slowly modifies the verb walked.)
- He talked politely. (The adverb politely modifies the verb talked.)
Sometimes adverbs modify adjectives.
- It was a very important question. (The adverb very modifies the adjective important.)
- You are so sweet. (The adverb so modifies the adjective sweet.)
Adverbs can also modify other adverbs.
- He walked very slowly. (The adverb very modifies the adverb slowly.)
- She sang extremely well. (The adverb extremely modifies the adverb well.)