Complete the following sentences using appropriate words or phrases.
1. She spoke ——————
2. She looks ——————
3. The problem appeared ———————
4. A dark figure ——————- appeared in the doorway.
5. I ——————– assumed that he was not interested.
6. We have ———————- differing opinions.
7. It serves him ——————
8. She looked —————— surprised.
9. I will be back as ————— as I can.
10. They left ——————– after lunch.
11. He was —————— punished for his crimes.
1. She spoke intelligently.
2. She looks smart. (Look is a copular verb.)
3. The problem appeared impossible. (Appeared is a copular verb. We use adjectives, not adverbs, to modify copular verbs.)
4. A dark figure suddenly appeared in the doorway.
5. I rightly assumed that he was not interested.
6. We have widely differing opinions.
7. It serves him right.
8. She looked pleasantly surprised.
9. I will be back as quickly / quick as I can.
10. They left right after lunch. (Here right means ‘just’ or ‘exactly’.)
11. He was justly punished for his crimes.