Cases Where A/An Cannot Be Used
With plural and uncountable nouns
- Children usually rush about. (NOT The children…)
- Water is precious.
- Computers are expensive.
- Wisdom is better than riches. (NOT The wisdom…)
- Commonsense is a great virtue. (NOT The commonsense…)
With possessives and demonstratives
- This is my husband. (NOT This is the my husband.)
- I like this colour. (NOT I like the this colour.)
With singular proper nouns.
We do not use the with singular proper nouns.
- Alice is an architect. (NOT The Alice…)
Between all and a number
The is not normally used between all and a number.
- Take all three shirts. (NOT Take all the three shirts.)
- Answer all five questions.