Censor and censure | Words confused
These words are often confused.
To censure is to reprimand, rebuke, admonish or criticize.
- The minister censured the reporters for publicizing the scandal.
- The teacher censured the student for missing his deadlines.
- Father censured me for skipping my classes.
As a noun censure means rebuke, criticism, admonition or reprimand.
- The sleeping cop received a strong censure from his senior officer.
To censor is to prohibit or remove objectionable material from a book, play or movie.
- The censor insisted that certain scenes should be removed from the movie.
Censorship is the practice of removing objectionable content.
- Internet censorship exists in many countries.