Class 5 Reading Comprehension Exercise
Reading comprehension activities assess a student’s ability to read and understand the given topic. No specialist knowledge is required to do this exercise because all the answers are found in the passage itself.
The following passage is meant for class 5 students.
Read the passage and answer the questions that follow.
Reading comprehension exercise for class 5
We must take proper care of our hair. Healthy hair looks beautiful and makes us feel good. It is important to keep our hair clean by washing it regularly with soap or shampoo. This removes the dirt and dust and prevents scalp infections. To have healthy hair, we must eat a balanced diet which provides nourishment to our skin. We should eat lots of green leafy vegetables, fresh fruits and cereals. Consumption of amla juice, ashgourd juice, pumpkin and coconut water enhances hair growth. Vitamin B12 helps to prevent hair loss and can be found in fish, eggs, chicken and milk. We should avoid the intake of maida (fine flour) and deep-fried dishes, sweets made of white sugar, soft drinks, tea and coffee. If we follow a healthy regime of yoga and breathing exercises, we can enjoy healthy hair for a long time as it slows down the process of graying and ageing.
Answer the following questions.
1. It is important to keep our hair clean because ………………………..
2. A balanced diet provides ………………….
3. Find words from the passage which means
a) food to make a person healthy
4. What role does shampoo play in hair hygiene?
5. What substances help in enhancing hair growth?
6. What food stuff should be avoided for healthy hair?
1. It is important to keep our hair clean because healthy hair looks beautiful and makes us feel good.
2. A balanced diet provides nourishment to our hair and skin.
3. a) nourishment; b) enhance
4. Shampoo removes the dirt and dust and prevents scalp infections.
5. Amla juice, ashgourd juice, pumpkin and coconut water enhance hair growth.
6. We should avoid the intake of maida, deep fried dishes, sweets made of white sugar, soft drinks, tea and coffee for keeping our hair healthy.