Formation Of Adverbs
Most adverbs are formed by adding –ly to an adjective. Examples are: able, ably; cheerful, cheerfully; wise, wisely; clever, cleverly; modest, modestly; kind, kindly; probable, probably, earnest, earnestly etc.
- He is a strange (adjective) person.
- He behaved strangely (adverb).
- She is a beautiful (adjective) girl.
- She sang beautifully (adverb).
The suffixes wise, ways, ward and wards are also used to form adverbs.
- She glanced sideways at the strangers.
- She looked upwards.
- They marched onward.
- She walked backwards.
Note that most of these words can be used both as adjectives and adverbs.