Formation of questions and negatives in the simple present tense
Formation of questions and negatives in the simple present tense.
In the simple present tense, we make questions and negatives with do or does. Do is used when the subject is a plural noun or pronoun (you, we, they). The first person pronoun I also take the verb do.
- What do I do? I run a website.
- Where do they work? They work at an insurance company.
- How do you know her? I know her through a common friend.
- Where do they live? They live in the city.
Does is used when the subject is a singular noun or a third person pronoun (he, she and it).
- When does Susmita get up? Susmita gets up at five o’clock. (NOT When does Susmita gets up?)
- Where does Roopa work? Roopa works at a bank.
- What does Rahul do? Rahul works at a factory.
- Where does she stay? She stays in a lodge.
- Does she earn well? Yes, she earns a handsome salary.