How vs. What…like?
We use how to ask about things that change ’ for example, people’s health and moods. We use what — like? to ask about things that do not change – for example, people’s looks and character.
- ‘How is she?’ ‘She is very well.’
- What is she like? She is a bit shy. (NOT How is she?)
- What does she look like? She is short, dark and pretty.
We often use how to ask about people’s reactions to their experiences.
- ‘How was the film?’ ‘Not bad.’
- ‘How is your new job?’ ‘Quite interesting.’
What — like? is also possible in cases like these.
Tags: howhow or what likewhat like
Hi, I am Manjusha. This is my blog where I give English grammar lessons and worksheets.