Make Of vs. Make From
We use make of when we are identifying the material used to make something.
- This necklace is made of gold.
- It is made of plastic.
- What is your bag made of?
- These shoes are made of leather.
We usually use make out of when we are thinking about the process of manufacture.
- They made all the furniture out of oak.
We usually use make from when the process of making changes a material into something completely different.
- Paper is made from wood. (NOT Paper is made of wood.)
- She makes wine from grapes.
To mention just one of the materials used for making something, we use make with.
- ‘The pudding is very sweet.’ ‘Yes, I made it with lots of sugar.’