Use anyhow to mean in disorder. Anyhow can also mean for certain. Somehow means in some way or by some means. It can also be used to refer to a reason that is not known or specified.
- Incorrect: He did it anyhow.
- Correct: He managed to do it somehow.
- Incorrect: He keeps his things somehow in his desk.
- Correct: He keeps his things anyhow in his desk. (= He keeps his things in disorder.)
- Incorrect: He may not come but somehow I shall.
- Correct: He may not come but anyhow I shall. (= I will certainly come.)
- Incorrect: He hadn’t prepared for the test, but anyhow he passed.
- Correct: He hadn’t prepared for the test, but somehow he passed.