- When you’ve finished, put the books where they belong. (= Put the books in their right place.)
- Do these plates belong here?
- Now that I have lived in this city for several years, I feel that I belong here. (= I am happy and comfortable in this city.)
When something belongs to you it is your property.
- These books aren’t mine. They belong to my brother.
- Do these cassettes belong to you?
- These books don’t belong to me.
When you belong to a club or community, you are a member of that.
- He belongs to a local football club. (= He is a member of a local football club.)
- She belongs to a minority community. (= She is a member of a minority community.)
Belong on / in
- That lamp belongs on the desk. (= That lamp has its place on the desk.)
- These students belong in a different group. (= These students have their place in a different group.)
- Those plates belong on the top shelf. (= Those plates fit on the top shelf.)