Fill in the blanks with an appropriate preposition. Each question is followed by four suggested answers. Choose the most appropriate one.
English Grammar Exercise
1. This area is backward —————– many aspects.
a) at b) in c) on d) from
2. I don’t think we can bank —————- him.
a) on b) in c) at d) with
3. Do you believe —————- ghosts?
a) in b) at c) of d) out
4. Beware —————– dogs.
a) of b) off c) away d) none of these
5. During his regime, Ashoka brought ————— many reforms.
a) out b) about c) up d) off
6. We are anxious —————– an end to this misunderstanding.
a) for b) to c) about d) at
7. I am very bad ————— remembering dates.
a) in b) on c) with d) at
8. She was green with ——————-
a) anger b) cold c) envy d) fear
9. Her hands were blue with ———————
a) cold b) anger c) fright d) none of these
10. He congratulated me —————- my exam results.
a) with b) at c) on d) for
11. Suddenly she complained —————— chest pain.
a) from b) with c) of d) about
12. Contrary —————- our expectations the government hiked the price of fuel.
a) with b) to c) at d) none of these
13. I entirely disagree —————— you on this point.
a) with b) from c) to d) on
14. I tried to dissuade him ————— taking such a drastic step.
a) to b) from c) of d) none of these
15. I am totally disgusted —————— her.
a) with b) of c) from d) out
16. The police officer was entrusted —————- the task of suppressing the riots.
a) of b) on c) with d) out
17. He is envious —————— of his rich neighbour.
a) about b) at c) of d) with
18. She flew ————— a rage at the very sight of the boy.
a) at b) from c) into d) with
19. He is always grumbling ————– something or other.
a) with b) at c) from d) of
20. He is heir —————- the throne.
a) of b) off c) to d) at
21. He fell —————- the ladder.
a) of b) off c) out d) from
22. I will be indebted —————— you for life.
a) at b) to c) from d) with
23. He is guilty —————- theft.
a) with b) of c) off d) none of these
24. Don’t look down ————– the poor.
a) at b) with c) upon d) none of these
25. I was greatly moved —————– their plight.
a) by b) with c) at d) of
6. for (anxious for = eager to have)
Visit www.perfectyourenglish.com for more grammar lessons, exercises and worksheets.