When people see each other after the New Year holidays, they often use a greeting such as ‘Happy New Year!’ Some people also ask about New Year resolutions (the promises that you make to yourself to get fitter, lose weight, change jobs etc.) or refer more generally to the whole of the Diwali / Christmas / New Year holiday period.
Asking about the holidays
- What did you do over Christmas?
- What did you do over Diwali?
- What did you get up to?
- Did you do anything exciting / special over the holidays?
- Have you made any New Year resolutions?
Giving a vague reply
- Nothing much.
- Nothing special.
- Oh, the usual…
- Same old (= nothing new)
Giving more information
- Did you have a good Diwali?
- It was great / fantastic / wonderful / lovely / thanks.
- Really relaxing / Just what I needed.
- We saw the in-laws / some of the family.
- We got away for a couple of days.
- We had a quiet Diwali at home.
Asking the other person
To keep the conversation going, try returning the question.
- What about you? (Did you have a) good Christmas / Diwali?
- And you? Did you see the New Year in?