Abstinent (AB stuh nunt)
When you are abstinent, you stop doing something voluntarily. This could be a harmful habit like smoking. A smoker enjoys smoking, but it is bad for him so his doctor may advise him to abstain from smoking.
- Martin used to be a chain smoker, but now he is abstinent. (He does not smoke now.)
- As I was dieting, I tried to be abstinent but eventually I realized that I lacked the willpower to resist the charm of chocolate cakes and ice-creams.
Abstinent takes the preposition from.
- The doctor advised the patient to be totally abstinent from alcohol.
Abstinence is the practice of abstaining.
- In a world where self-indulgence is regarded as a virtue, does it make sense to preach abstinence?
Abstention is the act of choosing not to do something. This word is also used to refer to a formal refusal to vote on something.
- The high rate of voter abstention clearly shows that people have lost faith in their leaders.
Abstentious, continent, sober, temperate, self-denying
Self-indulgent, rapacious, voracious, greedy, gluttonous