Continuous Tenses Worksheet for Class 8
We use continuous tenses to talk about actions that are / were / will be going on at a particular point of time in the present, past or future.
English has three continuous tense forms:
- Present continuous tense
- Past continuous tense
- Future continuous tense
We make the present continuous tense form by putting is, am or are before the –ing form of the verb.
- She is running.
- I am writing.
- We are playing.
Past continuous tense
We make the past continuous tense form by putting was / were before the –ing form of the verb.
- I was writing.
- They were singing.
- He was sleeping.
We use the future continuous tense forms by putting will / shall + be before the –ing form of the verb.
- They will be playing.
- I will be working.
- You will be playing.
Make sentences in the present continuous tense, past continuous tense and future continuous tense using the following verbs.
Watch, sing, play, run, pretend, grow, chase
- I am watching TV.
- She was watching a program on TV.
- They will be matching the match.
- The girl is singing a song.
- The boys are singing.
- I will be singing a song.
- The child is playing.
- She was playing with her dog.
- I will be playing with my children.
- The girl is running after her puppy.
- The boy was running fast.
- I will be running.
- He is pretending to be ill.
- She was pretending to be ill.
- She will be pretending to be ill.
- The plants are growing well.
- The rose was growing well.
- The plant will be growing well.
- The cat is chasing the mouse.
- The dogs were chasing the cat.
- The dogs will be chasing the cat.