Hindrance | A word a day
To hinder is to delay, slow down, hamper or retard.
- Heavy snow hindered the progress of vehicles.
- You must develop good eating habits if you do not want health problems to hinder your career growth.
- Lack of nutrition hinders the mental and physical development of millions of poor children.
Hindrance can mean stumbling block, impediment, obstacle, obstruction, limitation, restriction etc.
- Lack of education could be a hindrance to your career.
- Lack of funding was the main hindrance to the execution of the project.
Hindrance has a plural form – hindrances
- Poverty and illiteracy are the main hindrances to the development of a nation.
Note that after hindrance we use the preposition ‘to’.