Phrasal verbs exercise
In each sentence one word or phrase has been underlined. From the given options choose the phrasal verb that can correctly replace the underlined part.
1. We had an argument and I really criticized him.
a) went for
b) went by
c) called for
2. There were five hundred people competing for just five jobs.
a) going for
b) running down
c) bringing about
3. I think I will choose the steak. What would you like to have?
a) go for
b) go through
c) go after
4. Thanks to their huge majority they can successfully complete any legislation they want.
a) turn out
b) put through
c) put up
5. I couldn’t understand what he was saying.
a) turn up
b) get through
c) make out
6. He pretended that he had won the jackpot.
a) put across
b) made out
c) set up
7. James and his sister don’t like each other.
a) put out
b) take after
c) get along
8. You are always criticizing me.
a) running me down
b) putting me up
c) setting me up
9. They eventually found him in woods south of the city.
a) set him up
b) ran him down
c) took him up
10. It didn’t take long for news of his death to spread.
a) get off
b) put off
c) get around
1. We had an argument and I really went for him.
2. There were five hundred people going for just five jobs.
3. I think I will go for the steak. What would you like to have?
4. Thanks to their huge majority they can put through any legislation they want.
5. I couldn’t make out what he was saying.
6. He made out that he had won the jackpot.
7. James and his sister don’t get along.
8. You are always running me down.
9. They eventually ran him down in woods south of the city.
10. It didn’t take long for news of his death to get around.