Here is a list of expressions beginning with run. Each one is followed by its meaning. Example sentences are also given.
If a particular quality runs in a family it is common to all members of it.
- Social activism runs in the family.
The run (= average type)
- She stood out from the general run of female writers.
The runs / the royal runs
This is an informal expression referring to diarrhoea.
- Where is the toilet? I have got the royal runs.
Be run off your feet
When you are run off your feet, you are very busy.
- I am run off my feet. I don’t have time to talk now.
Be on the run
To be on the run is to try to escape from arrest.
- The criminals are on the run.
To run across someone is to meet them by chance.
- I ran across an old friend of mine yesterday.
Run somebody down
To run somebody down is to criticize them severely.
- He always runs down his rivals.
Become no longer valid or available
- Food supplies are running out.
To run over is to overflow.
- The cistern is running over.
Run someone over
To run someone over is to knock them down with a vehicle.
- The child was run over by a truck.
Run something up
To allow a bill or debt to build up
- He has run up huge debts.
- Our expenses have run up considerably.
Run up against
Experience a difficulty or problem.
- We ran up against some unexpected hurdles.