Questions regarding health and fitness | English speaking lesson
Here are some questions regarding health and fitness. Sample answers are also given.
- ‘Do you enjoy jogging?’ ‘Yes, I enjoy it.’
- ‘How often do you work out?’ ‘I work out almost every day.’ / ‘At least four times a week.’
- ‘You never used to eat vegetables. Have you suddenly acquired a taste for them?’ ‘No, I just heard they are healthy for you.’
- ‘What made you decide to start working out?’ ‘I heard that it’s good for health.’ / ‘I want to be healthier.’
- ‘You go for a walk every day. Do you enjoy it?’ ‘Well, I hate walking, but I do it because it’s very healthy.’
Talking about good and bad health of your family members
Use the following phrases to talk about the good and bad health of your family members.
- My grandmother is eighty but her eyesight is still very sharp.
- My grandfather is very worried about his health, but the doctors can’t find anything wrong with him.
- My grandmother is going blind, so she can’t move about that much.
- My grandmother can’t walk that well because of leg pains. But besides that, she’s very healthy.
- My father is diabetic.
- My grandfather is quite healthy for his age.
- My mother has arthritis / blood pressure / diabetes / etc. She’s always worried about her health.
Talking about the health of a newborn baby
- My sister has just had her baby. (= My sister has given birth to a baby.)
- ‘Isn’t the baby healthy?’‘He is. He is a healthy little boy.’
- Having healthy children is indeed a blessing.
- I’m so happy that I’m blessed with healthy children.
- ‘We have been blessed with a bonny (= healthy, attractive) baby.’ ‘Congratulations.’
Talking about major illnesses
Use the following phrases and sentences to talk about serious illnesses.
- He smokes a lot. I wouldn’t be surprised if he gets cancer.
- Don’t eat too much spicy foods. They could upset your stomach.
- My father-in-law died from stomach cancer last year. The doctors couldn’t detect it early.
- My grandfather has been unwell for a while. The doctors haven’t detected anything particularly serious, but he just doesn’t feel well.
- My sister falls ill very often. I’m really worried about her health.