Other words in the family
Abstraction, abstractions, abstractly, abstracts
Abstract as an adjective
1) not concrete; that which can only be felt or appreciated intellectually
- Truth and honesty are abstract ideas.
- I was never really good at understanding abstract concepts and that probably explains why I always get lows marks in mathematics.
2) used to describe an argument that is too general and not based on concrete facts or examples
- I quit when the discussion started becoming too abstract.
Abstract as a verb
1) to obtain information from books or other research materials
- These facts were abstracted from magazine articles.