The expression bad egg is used to refer to a person who behaves rudely or does bad things. Needless to say, bad eggs are not very popular in their locality.
- My mother didn’t want me to marry Ravi. She thought that he was a bad egg.
- Peter was such a bad egg that nobody liked him.
- There are quite a few bad eggs in my neighbourhood. I’m thinking about moving out.
- Although he is known to be a bad egg, I haven’t had any problems with him.
- Varun is a bad egg – don’t trust him.
A bad / rotten apple
A bad or rotten apple is a bad person in a group of good people.
- You will find an occasional bad apple in every family.
- If he hails from a family of eminent scholars and professionals, how could he become such a rotten apple?