We use exclamations to express strong emotions in a special way. It is important to know how to make exclamations because they are very common in both speech and writing.
Study the following sentences.
- That is a shocking report.
This is an assertive sentence expressing a strong feeling. We can express the same idea using an exclamatory sentence.
- What a shocking report! OR How shocking!
Note the use of the exclamation mark (!) at the end of the exclamatory sentence.
More examples are given below.
- Your sister has a very lovely smile.
We can express the same idea using an exclamatory sentence.
- What a lovely smile your sister has!
Change the following assertive sentences into exclamatory sentences.
1. It was a very hot day.
2. She dances very well.
3. He is a very rude man.
4. She looks exhausted.
5. The weather is very nice.
6. That was very interesting.
7. She is very generous.
8. That is a sad state of affairs.
9. It was a nice evening.
10. She is an incredibly strong woman.
1. What a hot day! OR How hot the day is! (NOT How hot is the day!)
2. How well she dances!
3. What a rude man! OR How rude he is!
4. How exhausted she looks!
5. How nice the weather is!
6. How interesting!
7. How generous she is!
8. What a sad state of affairs!
9. What a nice evening!
10. What an incredibly strong woman! OR How incredibly strong she is!