Prepositions Exercise for CBSE Class 9
Fill in the blanks with appropriate adverb particles or prepositions. Each question is followed by four suggested answers. Choose the most appropriate one.
English Grammar Exercises
1. She broke ———————– in the middle of her speech.
a) up b) in c) down d) off
2. Could you blow —————– the candle?
a) off b) on c) out d) up
3. At last the storm has blown —————-.
a) off b) over c) out d) in
4. The opposition parties are planning to bring ————– a No-Confidence Motion against the Prime Minister.
a) up b) forward c) out d) about
5. The accused said that he can’t call ————— the whole events.
a) up (recollect) b) in c) on d) at
6. The workers have called —————- the strike.
a) off b) on c) at d) in
7. The team of investigators tried to call —————- the necessary information from him.
a) off b) forth c) up d) out
8. The terrorist’s plan to blow —————– the bridge was foiled by police.
a) out b) off c) up d) over
9. She is cut —————- for a job of this kind.
a) out b) off c) up d) down
10. She came ——————- with flying colors in the examination.
a) out b) on c) off d) after
11. A new edition of this book will be brought ————- soon.
a) in b) forward c) out d) off
12. I am sure that this scheme of his will eventually fall —————–
a) off b) through c) up d) out
13. I have real trouble getting on —————- her.
a) at b) with c) by d) after
14. She is looking —————- to being a grand mother.
a) at b) after c) forward d) up
15. After he became rich be began to look down ————— his old friends.
a) on b) upon c) at d) off
16. The chief guest gave ————– the prizes.
a) away b) over c) to d) out
17. If a word is unfamiliar to you, you should look ————– its meaning in the dictionary.
a) over b) after c) up d) into
18. Everybody in the village looked up ————— the old man.
a) to b) at c) down d) after
19. The bridge gave ——————- under the weight of heavy traffic.
a) away b) way c) up d) in
20. He could not put —————- with such an insult.
a) out b) away c) up d) off
21. She was put ————— when he refused to listen to her.
a) out b) off c) up d) away
22. You must put ————— something for the rainy day.
a) off b) out c) by d) up
23. She could not see —————– his game.
a) off b) to c) through d) at
24. The twin girls take —————— their mother.
a) in b) after c) to d) on
25. The manager took him —————- task.
a) after b) in c) to d) for
1. down (break down: fail)
5. up (call up: recollect)
7. forth (call forth: elicit)
12. through (fall through: fail)
24. after (take after: resemble)
25. to (take sb to task: rebuke)
Visit www.perfectyourenglish.com for more grammar lessons, exercises and worksheets.