Sentence Completion Worksheet For Class 10
Test your understanding of English grammar rules with this grammar exercise. Fill in the blanks with an appropriate word or phrase.
English Grammar Exercise
1. The state of affairs ——————- sure to cause him anxiety.
a) is b) are c) were d) has
2. A carpenter and a goldsmith ————— in our street.
a) live b) lives c) is living d) are living
3. The introduction of reforms ————— greatly opposed by the aristocracy.
a) was b) were c) have been d) are being
4. Slow and steady —————- the race.
a) win b) wins c) has won d) would win
5. He —————- hardly finished his lunch when someone knocked at the door.
a) was b) had c) did d) would
6. He has been working here —————— three years now.
a) since b) for c) from d) before
7. I saw him two months ——————
a) ago b) before c) for d) since
8. He was foolish —————- to listen to her.
a) enough b) too c) also d) as well
9. I wish you ————— keep to the subject instead of digressing like this.
a) should b) would c) might d) must
10. ————— you give the keys of the safe you will be shot.
a) if b) unless c) but d) though
11. I would rather be a doctor —————- a lawyer.
a) than b) to c) but d) none of these
12. Clever ————— he was, he could not solve the problem.
a) as b) though c) as though d) even though
13. ————- he was clever, he could not solve the problem.
a) Though b) As c) Even d) In spite of
14. Strong ————- the elephant was, it could not face the swift leopard.
a) as b) though c) as though d) even as
15. Such was Damayanti’s beauty ————– princes from far and near came to woo her.
a) as b) for c) so d) that
16. He climbed up a tree ————- to get a good view of the procession.
a) such that b) such as c) so as d) even as
17. I will call you when the guests ——————-
a) arrive b) will arrived c) will be arriving d) will have arrived
18. They —————– the TV for a long time when the burglars burst in.
a) was seeing b) have been seeing c) had been seeing d) saw
19. My father usually ——————- coffee in the morning, but today he drank tea.
a) drinks b) drink c) drank d) was drinking
20. Ram is one of the players who ——————- selected for the Test match.
a) has been b) have been c) is d) was
21. Each of the boys —————- interviewed by the principal.
a) are b) were c) has been d) have been
22. He would rather —————- than yield to pressure.
a) be dying b) die c) died d) will die
23. Not —————— in time, he could not get the scholarship.
a) being applied b) applying c) having applied d) applied
24. ———————- by rain, we took shelter under a tree.
a) driving b) drove c) driven d) none of these
25. He complained of ——————- by the police.
a) having been tortured b) tortured c) torturing d) having tortured
1. is (The actual subject is the state of affairs, and not affairs.)
3. was (The actual subject is the introduction of reforms, and not reforms.)
16. so as
18. had been seeing
20. have been (The actual subject is players and not Ram.)
21. has been
23. having applied
25. having been tortured