Break Phrasal Verbs And Idioms
Break away – run away, escape
- The horse broke away from the stable.
Break down – fail to work, go wrong; prove to be wrong.
- The machine broke down.
Break down – be overcome by emotion
- She broke down in the middle of her speech.
Break into – get into by force
- The police broke into the building to capture the thieves.
Break in – train
- We need a trainer to break our pony in.
Break off – stop abruptly, as in talking
- He broke off in the middle of his speech.
Break out – appear suddenly
- Plague has broken out in the city.
Break up – (of a meeting, school term etc.) end
- The meeting broke up at 10 pm.
Break up – disperse
- The police used tear gas to break up the mob.