This passage is taken from the class 10 English exam conducted by CBSE in 2023.
Read the passage given below:
1. Hiking is a great source of pleasure to us besides being beneficial for health. Once we leave the crowded streets of a city and go out for a walking tour away from the mad world, we really feel free. The open air has a bracing effect on the mind. The congestion of the city, the uproar and tumult, the intolerable noise of traffic, the hectic daily routine, all these are forgotten and the mind is at ease. We then feel like running, leaping, singing and laughing. We travel merrily mile after mile in the company of friends and associates.
2. Hiking takes us in the midst of nature. The sight of waterfalls, flowers, streams, trees and bushes is pleasing. A connect is established between us and nature. Various sounds of nature like the murmur of a brook or the song of a bird acquire a new meaning and significance to us.
3. You enjoy the beauty of nature. Minute observations like a snake casting its slough, a mouse peeping out of its hole, a squirrel leaping about on the branches of a tree, a bird flying past us, all these are noticed and they arouse our interest. We have no business worries, no fear of the examination, no anxiety about the home. We have leisure to stand, to walk and talk. It is more thrilling and pleasurable to hike in a mountainous region than in the plains. The excitement of climbing up to the top of a hill, the adventure of coming down a slope, the grandeur of sunset behind a mountain – All these sights lend a rare charm and interest to our journey.
4. We walk along a zigzag motor road or cut across a mountain path in search of adventure. We may have bright sunny weather or might get caught in a shower of rain. We may look below us into the yawning chasm or up at the mountain peak. The feeling of unlimited freedom makes our hearts leap with joy.
5. Hiking is one of the healthiest sports. It ensures a complete escape from the urgent and busy activities of life and therefore gives solace to our brain. It regains its lost energy and is able to do twice as much work as before.
6. The fresh air, beautiful mountains, majestic trees, chirping sound of birds make one’s mind and soul at peace with nature.
Based on your understanding of the passage, answer the questions below:
(i) To go out for a walking tour is
(a) to stroll
(b) to ramble
(c) to hike
(d) to saunter
Answer: to hike
(ii) Why does the writer say that the mind is at ease when you hike?
(a) because hiking is an inexpensive activity
(b) because it brings families together
(c) because of intolerable noise of traffic
(d) because the depressing daily routine is forgotten
Answer: because the depressing daily routine is forgotten
(iii) Complete the following with a phrase:
The various sounds of nature acquire ……………………..
Answer: a new meaning and significance to us
(iv) Infer one reason for the following based on information in paragraph 2.
A contact is established between us and nature.
Hiking takes us into the midst of nature and gives us an opportunity to observe nature up close. We listen to various sounds of nature and marvel at the wonderful sights. Thus a contact is established between us and nature.
(v) Complete the following analogy correctly with a word from paragraph 2.
aroma: cooking; fragrance: ………………….
(vi) Give one reason why it is a pleasure to hike in the mountains than in the plains.
(a) because observation is sharpened
(b) because of the excitement of climbing up and adventure of coming down
(c) because it is leisure to stand, to walk
(d) because there are no worries
Because of the excitement of climbing up and adventure of coming down
(vii) Hiking gives the brain the rest it needs because
(a) it is a short time activity
(b) it is one of the healthiest sports
(c) it makes us sleep peacefully
(d) it is an escape from our busy schedule
Answer: it is an escape from our busy schedule
(viii) List any two examples of minute observations you make while on a hike
We may observe a squirrel leaping about on a branch or a mouse peeping out of its hole.
(ix) Supply one point to justify the following:
Hiking gives us a feeling of unlimited joy.
Hiking makes us forget our worries. It offers a complete escape from the hustle and bustle of our day to day life and thus gives us a feeling of unlimited joy.
(x) Substitute the word ‘leap with joy’ with one word similar in meaning in the following sentence from the passage.
The feeling of unlimited freedom makes our hearts leap with joy.
Answer: at ease