Cases where definite article should not be used
With plural and uncountable nouns
We do not use the before plural and uncountable nouns to talk about things in general.
- Children usually rush about. (NOT The children...)
- Water is precious.
- Computers are expensive.
- Wisdom is better than riches. (NOT The wisdom...)
- Commonsense is a great virtue. (NOT The commonsense...)
With possessives and demonstratives
We do not use the with possessives (my, your) or demonstratives (this, those).
- This is my husband. (NOT This is the my husband.)
- I like this colour. (NOT I like the this colour.)
With singular proper nouns.
We do not use the with singular proper nouns.
- Alice is an architect. (NOT The Alice ...)
Between all and a number
The is not normally used between all and a number.
- Take all three shirts. (NOT Take all the three shirts.)
- Answer all five questions.
You can find English Grammar And Writing lessons here
More CBSE English Grammar worksheetsPassive voice worksheet | Simple past tense
Passive voice worksheet | Past continuous tense
Passive voice worksheet | Simple future tense
Passive voice worksheet | Future perfect tense