Amiable and amicable
These words are often confused. The word amiable is mainly used to describe persons. An amiable person is friendly, pleasant, attractive, cordial, polite and charming.
The word amicable is mainly used to describe gestures and actions.
- My landlady is an amiable person.
- Amiable neighbours are a blessing.
- Nations must find amicable means of settling their disputes.
- The workers and the company reached an amicable settlement in their dispute.
- They had an amicable divorce.