Verbs Not Used In The Passive
Verbs not used in the passive
Some verbs do not have a passive form. Passive forms are not possible when the verb is intransitive. We have learned that an intransitive verb does not have an object. Verbs without objects cannot be used in the passive form. Examples are: sit, cry, smile, arrive, die.
You can learn about passive voice here.
- She smiled beautifully. (Active voice)
We cannot change this sentence into passive form because the verb smiled does not have an object.
- She sat on the bench. (Active voice)
This sentence cannot be changed into the passive form because the verb sat does not have an object.
Some transitive verbs are also almost never used in the passive form. Usually these verbs refer to states, not actions. Examples are: have, resemble, suit, lack etc.
- She has two daughters. (Active voice) (NOT Two daughters are had by her.)
- She resembles her mother. (BUT NOT Her mother is resembled by her.)
- That colour doesn’t suit you. (BUT NOT You are not suited by that colour.)
Some prepositional verbs are not normally used in the passive form. Examples are: agree with, walk into